Sunday, February 26, 2017

February 20 - February 26 Training

Monday: 5.5 miles (9:19), 2.5 miles (9:52).  I started with the regular Brixx route at 5 PM and then ran 2.5 miles at the normal Brixx meeting time.  My right leg was sore when I woke up today and I was pretty tired after the first 5.5 miles.
Tuesday: 8 miles (9:05).  Even paced miles with 20 second pickups on each mile.  70 degrees out and just beat the rain.
Wednesday: 1 mile (9:56), 1 mile (8:53).  The warm weather has brought out early allergies.  My eyes were so sore, itchy, and puffy, I just wanted to stay in bed.  I was going to do a long workout, but after 1 mile down Lower Station Camp road, I just walked it back to the car.  Can't blame it all on the allergies, some days it is a struggle to want to go out there and train every day.  Probably reaching a burn out stage after nearly 4 years of training without a break.
Thursday: 7 miles (8:55).  Today, I did part of the workout I was supposed to do yesterday.  After a 2 mile warmup, I ran the Station Camp Loop Jr. around 8:40 pace with a strong finish.  Eyes were better today, but the spring weather coming so early is going to mean a long allergy season.
Friday: 6.22 miles (8:42). Gave it a decent effort when it was 77 degrees out and very windy.  Ran too fast and paid for it tomorrow morning.
Saturday: 2 miles (9:35), 6 miles (8:27), 2 miles (9:39), 6 miles (8:13), 1 mile (8:51).  My heart rate shot straight to the 140's on the warmup and I was only going 9:35.  That was not a good sign.  I ran too fast yesterday and it was in the afternoon, only 15-16 hours for today's run.  After the warmup, the Garmin said I needed 34 hours to recover from the 2 mile run.  So I had to lower expectations on the Wietecha group tempo run.  I ran the first 3 miles at 8:40, 8:35, 8:29 before turning back.  If I was out there alone, I probably would have taken a rest.  But Alison Kanaby was right behind me, so I kept moving.  The 3 miles home were 8:18, 8:19, and 8:18 into the wind.  With an average HR of 155 and finishing with the HR at 167, this was a solid effort even if the pace wasn't there.  I probably would have skipped the cooldown, but Alison wanted a cooldown.  I need to run with people more, because it motivates you. Too easy to quit when you are out there alone.

We back out for a second 6 miler at Moss Wright Park in the afternoon.  My intent was just to put in a decent effort in the 8:30-8:40 range.  But I started feeling a little faster on miles 3 and 4 and when mile 5 started, I felt that sub 8 speed and finished miles 5 and 6 with 7:44 and 7:36.  About 75 seconds faster on the second 6 miler compared to the morning run.

Sunday: 6 miles (8:28), 6 miles (8:36).  First run at Moss Wright Park on Sunday morning.  I continued to press the easy paced runs to get the brain used to putting in a solid effort.  Went back to MWP in the afternoon for another 6 mile moderate effort run. I could feel myself tiring on this one, but I got the PR going up the big hill at 1:39.  However, it's 2 seconds behind Leigh and Rodney, so look for another try next Sunday.

Total Miles: 60.2 miles.  A good recovery after being about ready to quit Wednesday and basically having a rest day with only 2 miles.  But 6 moderate tempo runs the last 4 days has got my motivation back and I am starting to remember that running fast in a race isn't supposed to feel good, it is supposed to hurt. I have definitely run too many races for "fun" this past year and have to get back to sustaining the pain for the entire race.  Tom King this next Saturday will be a good test to see if I am getting that hunger and discipline back.

No comments:

Post a Comment