Monday, March 6, 2017

February 27 - March 5 Training

Monday: 4 miles (8:57), 6 miles (8:37).  Needed to stay near the house, so ran the first run on the treadmill.  But really wanted to get outside, so I ran the neighborhood, staying close to home on the second run.  That's the fastest I've run the neighborhood, which is pretty hilly.  Sticking with my new strategy of running harder on the "easy" runs.  If you want to be the course record holder for a Strava segment, create a segment that no one else has run.

Stay away Scott, Max, Darron, Kevin, Rodney, Leigh!  Just keep running down Anderson Road.



Tuesday: 9 miles (8:45).  Another neighborhood run and a new course record on Fountain Brooke Drive.
Wednesday: 3 miles (8:57), 3 miles (9:13).  Two easy treadmill runs.
Thursday: 6 miles (9:22).  Trending slower on the easy miles leading up to the Tom King race on Saturday morning.  Crazy busy week needing to stay close to home, so using the treadmill.
Friday: 4 miles (9:31).  Easy treadmill taper run for Tom King.
Saturday: 1 mile (9:19), 13.19 miles (8:04).  1:46:26 time at the Tom King Half Marathon, which was good for 6th place age group out of 26. I ran it at a pretty good effort, even though it is a long way from a PR.  But the heart rate was just a couple beats below my 1:38 PR, so the effort was there, I just don't have the same conditioning.  It had been a while since I ran this distance without stopping.  A lot of my past races, I've stopped at the water stops and had a short break.  That happens in training runs also.  What I think I need to do is start stopping less on training runs, so the body doesn't use them as a crutch to rest up to continue the run.  If I'm running the distance where water is needed, I might need to start carrying some water and drink it and keep running.  I think I really need to train like this in order to have the mental toughness when it comes race day.  I have 50 days until the London Marathon.  I think a good, solid 6 weeks of training could be a big benefit to London.  I can't give up on the BQ yet.
Sunday: 4 miles (8:42), 4 miles (8:57).  Outdoor run in the afternoon followed by an easy treadmill run while watching the Minnesota Gophers basketball game.

Total Miles: 57.1 miles.  Not the volume I wanted for this week, but I had a pretty busy week and did the best I could.  I also was tapering to give Tom King a good effort on Saturday.   Hopefully close to 70 miles next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment