Sunday, February 12, 2017

February 6 - February 12 Training

Monday: 5.5 miles (9:43), 2.5 miles (10:03).  I could feel some soreness from Saturday's race.  Body just felt slow and sluggish today.  Easy runs at Brixx.
Tuesday: 2.2 miles (9:09), 3.5 miles (7:25), 1.3 miles (10:16).  Warmup at DCP.  Went to the HHS track for the intervals, however, a group of 40 as on the track. So back to DCP.  12x400m with 1:00 rest after the first 3 in each group of 4 and then a 3:00 jog after every 4th.  The first 3 of each 4 targeting sub 1:50 and target sub 1:40 on each 4th.  The 12 intervals averaged 1:41, so I was pretty happy with the results.
Wednesday: 9 miles (9:03). Ran the Boomer Route.  I don't run this route very often, but I should. It's just a great workout with rolling hills that it can only make you stronger.
Thursday:
Friday: 3 miles (9:13), 2.5 miles (9:46).
Saturday: 0.6 miles (9:00), 9.34 miles (8:54).  It was a long walk up hills to the start of the Hot Chocolate 15K, so I ran a very short warmup.  I started out on the first 1/2 mile feeling pretty good, GPS was showing 7:45 but then it continued to climb and the first mile was 8:15.  Then the hills on mile 2 wiped me out and I seem to put my body in preservation mode rather than fighting on.  At the 10K mark, I attempted to do a fast 5K finish and was doing well on that first mile, but it slide to 8:15 and then I faded the rest of the way.  I seem to have lost the drive to run continuously at a fast pace.  I do well in workouts when there are intervals, but when I have to sustain the effort for a long time my mind doesn't allow it.  When I hit all my PR's in 2014, I had a pace in mind and I went to that pace and sustained it no matter how it felt.  I wish I could get that drive back.  Until I do, I will continue to race poorly.
Sunday: 1 mile (9:42), 5 miles (7:47), 1.5 miles (9:48).  After really feeling down about my inability to run hard on races, I am determined to try to reverse that trend.  I need to get back to remembering what it felt like to run hard with an elevated heart rate for an extended period of time.  So after a warmup around SCHS, I ran hard on Lower Station Camp Road.  Took a break when I reached the end after 1.75 miles, then ran back 1.75 miles, and then ran another 1.5 back down before doing a cooldown on the way back.  It felt good and heart rate was mainly in the 160's during the fast running with a max HR of 166.  Yesterday's race had a max HR of 161, which obviously wasn't a quality race effort.

Total Miles: 58 miles.  A lower volume week, but should start building up next week.  Hopefully this next week I can keep running hard when I need to and not wimp out.

No comments:

Post a Comment