Tuesday, November 8, 2016

October 31 - November 6 Training

Monday: 3 miles (9:51).  I even though some pickups in there and still felt so sluggish I could barely keep it under a 10:00 pace.  Makes me wonder how I can run a marathon in 6 days.
Tuesday: 8 miles (8:54). Workout:  1@warmup, 2@9:00, 1/4@slow, 2@8:40, 1/4@slow, 2@8:20, cooldown.  I felt sluggish again at the beginning and felt like I had to work some to hit the 2 miles @ 9:00.  But the further I got into the run, the better I felt and had to pull back some on the 2@8:20 to keep from overshooting the pace.  All easy running until Sunday now.
Wednesday: 5 miles (9:53).  Sluggish taper run.
Thursday: 4 miles (9:22).  Nice and easy, didn't feel too bad out there today.
Friday: 3 miles (9:31). Treadmill run in New York City.  After walking 2 miles back to the hotel from the expo, I really didn't want to walk another 20 minutes to run outdoors at Central Park, so opted for the treadmill.
Saturday: 2 miles (10:00).   A quick 2 miler on the hotel treadmill.
Sunday: 26.42 miles (11:05).  New York City Marathon.  Going into this race, I was targeting to run 4:15-4:30.  I really have not had any outdoor training runs in the past 4 1/2 months.  The only outdoor runs in that time frame over the half marathon distance were marathons (Grandmas and Nashville Greenway).  Nothing exposes a lack of training like the marathon.  I felt really good the first 10 miles, right on target for 4:15-4:20 and then my right leg started hurting.  So after 11 miles, I started working in a 30 second walk break every 1/2 mile.  But by mile 20, it hurt just to walk.  I walked most of mile 23, but realized it actually hurt a little bit less to run a 12-13 minute pace than it did to walk.  So it was walk/run until the finish, which was officially 4:57.  Ouch!  I've gained a new respect for those marathoners who consistently go out and run 5+ hour marathons.  That takes a lot of courage and determination to be out there that long.  Going in to 2016, all of my marathons were under 4 hours.  At Disney World in January, I lost that record when I slipped to a 4:03 marathon.  That actually took the pressure off of thinking I had to run every marathon under 4 hours.  An the Nashville Greenway Marathon came in at around 4:25 5 weeks ago before slipping to 4:57 at New York. But I needed to finish since this was my 3rd of the 6 majors.  My goal is to run the 6 majors and collect the special medal you get for running all of the Majors.  I've completed Boston, Berlin, and New York City.  In April of 2017 I will run London, followed by Chicago in the fall of 2017.  That will leave Tokyo as the final major marathon, which I am tentatively planning for February of 2019.

Total Miles: 51.4.

No comments:

Post a Comment