Friday, September 16, 2016

September 5 - September 11 Training

Monday: 2 miles (9:58), 10K (8:43), 1 mile (9:43), 5K (8:44), 4 miles (8:47), 3 miles (9:26).  Now that is a lot of running for a Monday.  Ran the Franklin Classic 10K and 5K.   The goal was to run marathon pace in the 10K, but with it being warm, I had all I could do to run in the 8:40's.  I was hoping to race the 5K, but didn't have much strength for that either.  In the afternoon I ran off some frustration on Lower Station Camp with a 4 miler before finishing up with a few miles on the Monday Night Brixx run.  19.3 miles to start the week!
Tuesday: 4 miles (9:09).  Still 86+ degrees at 6 PM, when will it cool down?  Ran the Station Camp Loop.  This is becoming my new favorite root and the climb up Big Station Camp feels good.  Day #600 of the Run Streak.
Wednesday: 9 miles (9:06).  88 degrees at 5:30 PM, when will it cool down?  Ran two Station Camp Loops.  Felt a little tired on the second one.  I seriously thought about taking a rest day and ending the streak at 600 days, but time to go towards the next milestone.
Thursday: 2.5 miles (9:37).  Motivation hitting an all-time low.
Friday: 3 miles (9:44).  Still feeling very sluggish and not wanting to run, but fighting to keep the run streak alive.
Saturday: 2.5 miles (10:01).  Woke up with sore throat and congestion.
Sunday: 10 miles (8:57).  Finally managed some mileage after a few very sluggish, non-motivational days.  I had stayed downtown Nashville on Saturday night to go to the Vikings-Titans on Sunday so I ran Shelby Bottoms just before 7 AM.  Walked a mile over the pedestrian bridge from downtown before starting.  I started out still feeling sluggish with a 9:39 first mile, but then decided to just try to go a little faster and it started turning into a progression and by mile six I was at 8:31.  Then I felt myself getting slower on mile 7 and fell all the way to 9:38 on mile 8.  At that point I was content to just run two more slow miles, but decided to run faster to just see if it was a mental thing making me want to slow down.  I finished with miles of 8:50 and 8:23, showing that although I was feeling slow and sluggish, it wasn't that difficult to speed up.  You have to overpower the part of the brain that says go slow.

Total Miles: 50.4 miles.  Although I had only 12 miles on 4 days, I still managed to get over 50 miles.  It's time to step up the mental focus and get the miles in that the training plan calls for.  I just need to hang on until the fall weather gets here.  These 90 degree days are taking a toll on me, but I'm still not a morning runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment