Sunday, August 28, 2016

August 22 - August 28 Training

Monday: 5 miles (8:47), 5.1 miles (8:39).  Probably running a bit too fast for easy runs, but the weather was great today with a low dew point.
Tuesday: 3 miles (9:07), 9 miles (9:09).  For the second run, ran the Boomer route.  After a 3 mile warmup, 10 x (1:00 on/2:00 off).  Ran 5K effort on the fast intervals.  It seemed like most of them were on the uphill.  I had not run the full Boomer Route in 15 months!  I need to start running that route more often.
Wednesday: 4 miles (9:10). Woke up with a sore throat so only ran 4 miles rather than 8-9.  My wife came down with a cold this past weekend, so my turn is here. Probably going to be a tough 3-5 days to get over this.  Will probably run minimal miles and try to get some rest.
Thursday: 4 miles (8:54).  Day 2 with the cold, so I just ran 4 miles on the Station Camp Loop.
Friday: 5.5 miles (9:15). I thought my cold was getting better so started on the Boomer Route from SCHS, but by the time I reached Fountain Brooke I was feeling pretty weak.  So turned back towards the car.
Saturday: 3 miles (9:10).  Felt weaker today than yesterday, so just ran a few.
Sunday: 1 mile (9:15). 13.1 miles (9:08).  I felt weak on the warmup and really thought about driving home and skipping the race, but that would be the wimpy thing to do.  So I gutted it out and ran the Half Full Race 13.1 Half Marathon starting at Nissan Stadium and going to Shelby Bottoms and back.  Pretty close to the Tom King course. Late start at 7:40 and it was pretty warm.  At the turnaround, it looked like someone near my age group that was only 10-15 seconds behind, so I sped it up for the next 3 miles and no one was near me after that.  Very tough mentally to finish with it getting warmer and warmer with less shade.  But I knew all I needed to do was finish and I should get top 3 Age Group.  I ended up second age group (50-59), but barely got under 2 hours.  With my getting over a cold combined with the warm temperatures, this was the toughest of my 21 half marathons ever!



Total Miles: 52.7 miles.  Not a lot of miles, but I did get some quality runs in this week despite coming down with a sore throat on Wednesday, leading to a cold.  5 Station Camp Loops and the Boomer over the past 8 days gave me more elevation change than I am used to running.  This is what I need to continue to do in order to get ready for the New York City Marathon, 10 weeks from today.


No comments:

Post a Comment